Yeast infection is caused due to a minute organism called as the yeast also known as candida fungus which dwells on the human body in small numbers. Yeast infection occurs in both men and women in areas such as underarm, between the toes etc. However, yeast infection in women occurs around the vagina. Usually the acidity level of the vagina keep the fungus under control, but due certain conditions such as menstruation period, pregnancy, diabetes, birth control pills etc. the acidity level of the vagina might drop result in yeast infection.
Symptoms of yeast infection include:
- Itching and burning sensation in the vagina.
- Swelling, itching and burning around the skin of the vagina also known as the vulva.
- Typical white, thick and odorless vaginal discharge.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Burning sensation during urination.
Causes of yeast infection are:
- Lowering of the body’s immunity level.
- Use of antibiotics
- Some reaction to certain birth control pills
- Menstrual periods
- Diabetic conditions.
Home remedies to cure yeast infection include:
- Take a tampon dip it in yogurt and insert it in the vagina twice daily.
- Few drops of tea tree oil poured on a tampon and inserted in the vagina will give some relief.
- Garlic paste applied directly on the affected part of the body will cure the infection. Garlic paste cannot be applied on the vagina.
Diet for yeast infection includes lots of fruit and vegetables nothing specific.
It is advisable that individual wear loose fitting cotton undergarment. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, and panty hose every day. Avoid external agents such as deodorant sanitary pads and tampons and sprays that cause irritation. Do not remain wet for long.